When you find a home that seems perfect for you, be sure to look carefully for potential problems before you put in an offer. Here are a few red flags to look for:
1. Lack of Maintenance. If you can tell that a home hasn’t been well maintained just by looking at it, think hard about whether or not you are up for the challenge. Chances are that in a situation like this there will be more to fix than just the cosmetic.
2. Foundation Issues. Comb the foundation for damage. Look for noticeable cracks, bulges, and grading issues in the yard which could mean that water has run down the foundation.
3. Old Wiring. If there are outlets or switches in the home that do not function, or if the outlets are double pronged instead of triple, if any lights flicker or circuits don’t work that is all a sign that there may be wiring issues.
4. Funky Smells. If you smell bad smells inside or out it could be a sign that there are bigger issues. Additionally, if you smell strong overlying scents like potpourri, candles, etc. then just keep in mind that it may be masking other not-so-nice smells.
5. Limited Fresh Paint. New paint is the number one way for sellers to spruce up their homes before selling, but if you only see new paint in certain areas, look for deeper issues which may be hiding under the paint, such as mildew or mold.
Thinking of buying or selling a home in Sussex County? Give us a call at Cooper Realty Associates and put us to work for you – 302-644-2266.