Last week I wrote about five issues that should raise red flags in your mind if you’re looking to buy. Here are some more:
1. Locked Doors. If there are any areas of a home that are off limits during your tours, be sure that you arrange to see them at some point before you put any kind of offer on the house.
2. Missing Walls. If there has been any major remodeling to the home keep in mind that moving walls can shift the weight of the house around, which will cause issues if load bearing walls were not properly cared for. Be sure to check for signs that there aren’t any structural issues.
3. Window Issues. Check out all the windows, make sure they work and don’t stick, check to make sure that there isn’t water damage between window panes.
4. Pests. Check for signs of unwelcome pests – roaches, mice, termites, etc. do not make good house guests! Look for traps, scat, and other tell tale signs that pests might be an issue.
5. A Questionable Area. If a home you are interested is in an area where there are lots of boarded up homes or businesses or if it’s in a neighborhood where there are many other homes for sale, ask around and find out what’s up. If there’s a reason that so many people are leaving the area then you will want to know about it before you buy.
Thinking of buying or selling a home in Sussex County? Give us a call at Cooper Realty Associates and put us to work for you – 302-644-2266.