You only get one chance to make a first impression, and first impressions are lasting. We know this, yet when many people put their home on the market they don’t take the time to make sure that the first impression is a good one. When you’re trying to sell your home, you want buyers to fall in love at first sight!
Here are a few tips to boost your property’s curb appeal:
- Take a picture. You’re so use to seeing the outside of your house that you might not notice it anymore. If you take a photo (or several photos) you may be able to see the property with new eyes. Show the photos to friends, family, neighbors, etc. and ask them to point out any concerns they would have if they were thinking about buying the place. Make a list and address as many of the concerns as you can, especially recurring concerns.
- Paint – It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do for the exterior of a home. If the entire home doesn’t need to be painted, consider freshening the trim, doors, shutters, and/or garage door.
- Clean & repair the driveway – Take the time to repair small cracks and rent a power washer to get that driveway clean. If your drive way is a major mess, think about getting it redone.
- Spruce up landscaping – Keep your grass mowed and fertilized. Rake your yard. Edge along your sidewalks. Plant some bright, low maintenance flowers – marigolds are a good choice!
- Replace your door – If your front door has seen better days, consider replacing it. Remember, the door is what will welcome potential buyers into your home. Make it a nice welcome!
- Clean – Wash your windows and doors (including screens), rent a power washer and spray down the deck, driveway, sidewalks, consider power washing the exterior of your home if you aren’t going to paint.
- Replace light bulbs – check the view of your home at night and replace any burned-out bulbs. Consider adding lights if the property is in need of better lighting.
Of course the front of your house will offer the first impression to potential buyers, but don’t forget the back and side views as well!
Considering putting your home on the market? Let us help. Give us a call at Cooper Realty Associates and put us to work for you – 302-644-2266!